Africa Studies Center (ASC) of China Foreign Affairs University (CFAU) was founded in December, 2009. Up to now, there have been around a dozen members who are part-timers from Department of Diplomacy, Institute of International Relations, Department of International Economics, Department of English and International Studies, Department of Foreign Languages (French and Japanese) and Institute of Asia Studies. They have diversified professional knowledge background, with academic title of professors, associate professors, lecturers and PhD student. The first director was Professor Tang Xiao (2009-2016), the incumbent director is Professor Li Dan (2016-).
1. Participation in Sino-Africa joint research and exchange programs: From 2009 to now, ASC has actively participated in Sino-Africa Joint Research and Exchange Programs in the framework of Sino-Africa cooperation forum; undertaken more than a dozen of projects, scholar exchange programs, research programs and book publication projects.
2. Participation in Africa research projects of other ministries and agencies: such as Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Education and China Development Bank.
3. Attending domestic and international conferences about Sino-Africa relationship and diplomacy, communicate with African and international scholars.
4. Participation in training programs for young and middle-aged diplomats from African countries: Since 1996, CFAU has been working on training programs for African diplomats under foreign aid programs of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Commerce. ASC has successively host academic seminars with trainees. Some ASC members have participated in lecturing work for these training programs.
5. Invitation of Chinese ambassadors to African countries and African ambassadors to China to give lectures and colloquia.
6. Academic studying visits to Africa in the framework of China-Africa Joint Research and Exchange Program or based on inter-college cooperation with African counterpart.
1. Published research works and papers about Africa and China-Africa relations.
2. Cultivation of Doctor’s and Master’s thesis about Africa.
3. Research reports for ministerial projects.